Topic 7: A – Numeric Summaries by Groups
The following video illustrates exploratory data analysis in Case CQ (or QC) where we wish to obtain numerical (and graphical) summaries of a quantitative variables within the levels of a categorical variable. Here we will use EXPLORE to accomplish this task. The following files are associated with this video.
- DATASET USED:
- SPSS OUTPUT CREATED:
- Menus and Steps Used:
- Double-click on the SPSS dataset (STEP3) to open SPSS with that data loaded
- Note: Explore can obtain histograms, boxplots, and QQ-plots in addition to the numeric summaries which makes this a very nice tool!
- Analyze – Descriptive Statistics – Explore
- Drag quantitative variables into the Dependent list
- Drag categorical variables into the Factor list
- In STATISTICS – check percentiles if the quartiles are needed
- In PLOTS – select histogram and normality plots, if desired
- Decide whether to display staistics or plots or both
- Click OK
- Save SPSS output by going to the output and File – Save or by closing SPSS and following the prompts