Topic 5: B – Creating Histograms and Boxplots
CO-7: Use statistical software to analyze public health data.
The following video illustrates exploratory data analysis for one quantitative variable by creating histograms and boxplots using GRAPHS – CHART BUILDER. The following files are associated with this video.
- DATASET USED:
- SPSS OUTPUT CREATED:
- Menus and Steps Used:
- Double-click on the SPSS dataset (STEP3) to open SPSS with that data loaded
- For Histograms – Go to GRAPHS – CHART BUILDER
- Choose Histogram from the bottom left menu
- Double-Click or drag the first selection into the graph preview area
- Drag a quantitative variable onto the x-axis
- Using the Element Properties, you can decide whether to display frequencies or percentages on the y-axis, click Apply to save any changes
- Click OK
- For Boxplots – Go to GRAPHS – CHART BUILDER
- Select Boxplots from the lower left menu
- Double-Click or drag the LAST chart – the single boxplot – into the graph preview area
- Drag a quantitative variable onto the y-axis (if you have recently used this tool there may already be a variable, reset if needed)
- Click OK
- Save SPSS output by going to yhe output and File – Save or by closing SPSS and following the prompts.
This document is linked from our main SPSS page under Software.