Topic 4: A – Frequency Distributions
CO-7: Use statistical software to analyze public health data.
The following video illustrates exploratory data analysis for one categorical variable by creating frequency distributions (and creating bar charts and pie charts) using ANALYZE – DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS – FREQUENCIES. The following files are associated with this video.
- DATASET USED:
- SPSS OUTPUT CREATED:
- Menus and Steps Used:
- Double-click on the SPSS dataset (STEP3) to open SPSS with that data loaded
- Go to ANALYZE – DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS – FREQUENCIES
- Drag categorical variables into the list
- In CHARTS – Select bar charts or pie charts, if desired and choose whether to display frequencies or percentages
- We discuss other options but make no changes
- Decide whether to display the frequency tables
- Click OK
- Save SPSS output by going to yhe output and File – Save or by closing SPSS and following the prompts.
This document is linked from our main SPSS page under Software.