Topic 2: D – Computing New Variables
The following video illustrates how to compute new variables from other variables in our dataset. In practice this could range from a simple conversion of units to a complex calculation involving the values of numerous variables.
- DATASET USED:
- SPSS DATASET CREATED:
- Menus and Steps Used:
- Double-click on the SPSS dataset (STEP3) to open SPSS with that data loaded
- Go to the TRANSFORM – COMPUTE VARIABLE
- Enter the name of the new variable in the TARGET VARIABLE box
- Create the correct calculation in the numeric expression area by either typing in the equation or using the menus available in the tool. Click OK when finished.
- Check the results by viewing the data and likely some exploratory data analysis
- Save changes to your SPSS dataset using File – Save or by closing SPSS and following the prompts. We save the result as STEP4