Topic 9: A – Basic Scatterplots
The following video illustrates exploratory data analysis in Case QQ where we wish to investigate the relationship between two quantitative variables using a scatterplot. Here we will use CHART BUIILDER to accomplish this task. The following files are associated with this video.
- DATASET USED:
- SPSS OUTPUT CREATED:
- Menus and Steps Used:
- Double-click on the SPSS dataset (STEP3) to open SPSS with that data loaded
- For Scatterplots – Go to GRAPHS – CHART BUILDER
- Select Scatter/Dot from the lower left menu
- Double-Click or drag the FIRST chart into the graph preview area (reset the tool if needed)
- Drag a quantitative variable onto the y-axis (response variable)
- Drag a quantitative variable onto the x-axis (explanatory variable)
- Click OK
- Double-click on the graph to edit.
- Choose “Add Fit Line at Total” from the ELEMENTS menu or the toolbar icon which looks like one line.
- Add Linear and/or LOESS lines using this tool – click APPLY to save any changes before closing
- Close the editor when finished
- Save SPSS output by going to the output and File – Save or by closing SPSS and following the prompts