Topic 4: A – Frequency Distributions
The following video illustrates exploratory data analysis for one categorical variable by creating frequency distributions (and creating bar charts and pie charts) using ANALYZE – DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS – FREQUENCIES. The following files are associated with this video.
- DATASET USED:
- SPSS OUTPUT CREATED:
- Menus and Steps Used:
- Double-click on the SPSS dataset (STEP3) to open SPSS with that data loaded
- Go to ANALYZE – DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS – FREQUENCIES
- Drag categorical variables into the list
- In CHARTS – Select bar charts or pie charts, if desired and choose whether to display frequencies or percentages
- We discuss other options but make no changes
- Decide whether to display the frequency tables
- Click OK
- Save SPSS output by going to yhe output and File – Save or by closing SPSS and following the prompts.